Join us for the 2017-2018 Also-Known-As Mentorship Program!
Are you interested in getting involved with Also-Known-As?
Come participate in our youth or teen mentorship program. We are currently accepting applications for the 2017-2018 year!
The Also-Known-As Youth Mentorship Program is targeted to intercountry adoptees ranging in age from 7 to 12 years, or children in that age range of international adoptees. The goal of our program is three-fold:
(1) to foster personal relationships with people who have similar life experiences.
(2) to develop positive self perception through role modeling and companionship with adult international adoptees and members of the minority community.
(3) to facilitate an appreciation of the diverse cultures and races and their contribution to the global family.
In order to accomplish these goals, Also-Known-As provides a safe and exciting opportunity for younger intercountry adoptees to be in a community reflective of their life experiences; to have discussions of issues faced by the intercountry adoption community – race, cultural identity, adoption, and family; and to become active participants in the community through various cultural and voluntary activities.
Information for Mentees
For adoptive parents and our future mentees, this is an opportunity to become involved in a dynamic, young organization of other international adoptees.
- Meets one Saturday a month from September through June;
- A group of international adult adoptee mentors will be present at each of the events;
- Open to children aged 7 - 12 who are intercountry adoptees or children of an intercountry adoptee;
- Parents must complete an application and phone interview;
- Families of the enrollee must pay a fee of $400 to cover the cost of the events;
- Families must be members of Also-Known-As ($50 for annual family membership).
The program runs from September – June. We accept applications from May through July 31st each year. Interviews will be scheduled during the month of July in the order applications are received. Admittance to the program is on rolling first-come, first-serve basis.
Information for Mentors
We are excited to be able to offer this program to adult intercountry adoptees and friends of the adoptee community. We invite prospective mentors to seek this opportunity to become role models, to become a friend, and to be an enriching addition to a young person’s life.
- Be an Also-Known-As member;
- Be at least 21 years old;
- Comfortable and versed in the various issues around intercountry adoption.
- Be able to guarantee a once a month commitment (3-4 hours on a Saturday) for the academic year.
- Complete an application and personal interview;
- Be willing to work in a group setting and be a team player.
Past events have included
- Scavenger Hunt
- Rock Climbing
- Cooking Class
- Ice Skating
- Family Picnic
- Top of the Rock
- Central Park Zoo
- Museum of Natural History
- Brooklyn Bridge
- Statue of Liberty
- Museum of the Moving Image
- Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum
- Laser Tag
Jae was adopted from Seoul, South Korea when she was four months old and was raised on the Jersey Shore. She graduated from the University of Southern California with dual bachelor's degrees in Business Adminstration and Psychology in 2008 and completed her master's degree in Psychological Counseling in 2012. Jae has been actively involved within the adoptee community ever since since she was a child. She attended Holt Heritage Camp from the age of ten until she was fifteen, and continued to serve as a staff assistant and counselor at Holt and IKAA's KIDS Camp for several years. Jae has been a member of Also Known As since 2007, formerly directed the Youth Mentorship program, and is excited to return as Director of the program again this year!
Activities for the Mentorship Program are scheduled for the following dates (all Saturdays), plus the annual BBQ in June: