Join us for the 2018-2019 Also-Known-As Mentorship Program!
Are you interested in getting involved with Also-Known-As?
Come participate in our youth or teen mentorship program. We are currently accepting applications for the 2018-2019 year!
The mission of the Also-Known-As Teen Mentorship Program is to provide a community in which international adolescent adoptees ages 13-18, or children in that age range of international adoptees, can begin exploration of identity and race. The principal objectives are:
- To provide a community in which international adolescent adoptees can build friendships with others who share in the international adoption experience.
- To encourage discussion about identity and race.
- To provide a community in which international adolescent adoptees can feel empowered and find their own voices.
- The program will meet one Saturday a month from September through May, plus an annual BBQ in June
- A group of international adult adoptee mentors will be present at each of the events
- The events will focus on fun as well as on exposure to adoption issues
- Adult mentors and teens must agree and adhere to behavior guidelines
- Cost of the program is $400 per teen to cover the cost of the 9 events + $50 per family for 1-year Also-Known-As family membership.
Information for Parents
Please fill out the following forms if you would like your teen son or daughter to be a part of the Teen Mentorship Program:
Information for Mentors
We invite prospective mentors to seek this opportunity to become role models, to become a friend, and to be an enriching addition to a young person’s life:
Past events have included
- Rock Climbing
- Cooking Class
- Scavenger Hunt
- Beach Day
- Ice Skating
- Apple Picking
- Laser Tag
Misha Ulrich is the Lead Mentor for Teen Mentorship as well as the Director of Mentorship Programs. Please contact Misha for more information about the program or to submit an application to be a Mentee or Mentor.
Misha was adopted with her twin sister from South Korea when they were three months old where they grew up in New York City. Misha graduated from Hawaii Pacific University with a B.S. in Public Relations. During her time as an undergrad, she studied abroad on Semester at Sea in the Spring of ’09, and at Sogang University in Seoul, South Korea in Fall ’11. After graduating, she spent time traveling through Europe before moving to Melbourne, Australia to study international relations at the University of Melbourne. Upon returning to New York, Misha became a mentor in Also-Known-As’s teen mentorship program and stepped up to become Lead Mentor last year. She is also a member of the Also-Known-As Board of Directors.
Activities for the Mentorship Program are scheduled for the following dates (all Saturdays), plus the annual BBQ in June: