Join us for the 2017-2018 Also-Known-As Mentorship Program!
Are you interested in getting involved with Also-Known-As?
Come participate in our youth or teen mentorship program. We are currently accepting applications for the 2017-2018 year!
The mission of the Also-Known-As Teen Mentorship Program is to provide a community in which international adolescent adoptees ages 13-18, or children in that age range of international adoptees, can begin exploration of identity and race. The principal objectives are:
- To provide a community in which international adolescent adoptees can build friendships with others who share in the international adoption experience.
- To encourage discussion about identity and race.
- To provide a community in which international adolescent adoptees can feel empowered and find their own voices.
- The program will meet one Saturday a month from September through May, plus an annual BBQ in June
- A group of international adult adoptee mentors will be present at each of the events
- The events will focus on fun as well as on exposure to adoption issues
- Adult mentors and teens must agree and adhere to behavior guidelines
- Families of the enrollee must pay a fee of $400 to cover the cost of the 9 events
- Families must be members of Also-Known-As ($50 for annual family membership)
Information for Parents
Please fill out the following forms if you would like your teen son or daughter to be a part of the Teen Mentorship Program:
- Teen/Parent Application
Information for Mentors
We invite prospective mentors to seek this opportunity to become role models, to become a friend, and to be an enriching addition to a young person’s life:
Past events have included
- Rock Climbing
- Cooking Class
- Ping Pong
- Scavenger Hunt
- Beach Day
- Ice Skating
- Apple Picking
- Laser Tag
Misha was adopted with her twin sister from South Korea when they were three months old where they grew up in New York City. Misha graduated from Hawaii Pacific University with a B.S. in Public Relations. During her time as an undergrad, she studied abroad on Semester at Sea in the Spring of ’09, and at Sogang University in Seoul, South Korea in Fall ’11. After graduating, she spent time traveling through Europe before moving to Melbourne, Australia to study international relations at the University of Melbourne. Upon returning to New York, Misha became a mentor in Also-Known-As’s teen mentorship program and is excited to step up as the Director this year. She is also a member of the AKA Board of Directors.
Activities for the Mentorship Program are scheduled for the following dates (all Saturdays), plus the annual BBQ in June: